EHN Canada – White Rock, BC
Mental Health Occupational Therapist
EHN White Rock is seeking a mental health Occupational Therapist (OT). The incumbent is a member of an interdisciplinary team and is responsible for active participation in interdisciplinary treatment, team meetings and resident centered care planning. As a skilled clinician, you are interested in working with a diverse patient population, and have experience working with clients who are experiencing PTSD, mood and anxiety disorders.
OT Clinical Skills:
- Mental Health experience, including working with individuals with PTSD, as well as mood and anxiety disorders. Community based experience would be preferred to help client’s apply skills and transition to their home environment.
- Knowledge of Stress Inoculation Training/DBT Skills, or other coping strategies related to reducing anxiety, anger, or distress.
- Knowledge of CBT and ability to help client’s reframe cognitive distortion
- Understand common trauma triggers and possess an ability to create exposure hierarchies and/or grade activities. Recognize a variety of ways to adjust or manipulate a task in order to match the client’s current level of function.
- Experience working with clients when in a state of distress. (ie Rage, panic attacks, etc.) and an awareness of de-escalation and conflict resolution techniques.
- Understanding of cognitive impairments, (TBI as well as secondary due to psychological factors) as well as remediation and compensatory strategies to help improve function.
Awareness and understanding of physical, cognitive, and emotional fatigue as well as pacing and energy conservation strategies.
It is also a major responsibility of an addictions counsellor to be able to recognize problem areas beyond the scope of his/her training, skill or specialty, and to assist others to utilize the knowledge and skills of other professionals.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (BC) required.
- Membership in the BC Society of Occupational Therapists preferred.
- Minimum one-year recent related clinical experience working with mental health population in a clinical setting preferred.
- Minimum one-year recent related experience working with clients with PTSD, mood, and anxiety disorders.
- Experience providing exposure based interventions highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of an inter-professional team.
- Experience with individual with addictions would be considered an asset.
- Experience facilitating group therapy, lecturing and educational presentations.
- You enjoy working in a team environment and have excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of military/RCMP/First Responder cultures.
- Awareness of the local area near your facility to use community resources in order to target specific triggers.
Competitive wages, excellent benefits and a mutually supportive work environment. Salary will commensurate with training and experience. As a member of our multi-disciplinary team you will be part of a dedicated group of professionals who help patients and their families regain lives free from addiction. Edgewood Health Network is an equal opportunity employer which practices the principles of employment equity. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
How to Apply:
Attention: Lena Taylor, Human Resources
Only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls please.