Intensive OCD Treatment Services
The Thompson Centre’s Intensive OCD Treatment model integrates psychological and psychopharmacology interventions to provide a comprehensive approach to care for people with severe and impairing OCD.
This program is available in a residential treatment environment, but can also be attended as a day patient when feasible- see details below. Our intensive treatment is focused on intensive cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), with approximately 4 hours of exposure and response prevention (ERP) daily.
The program also includes;
- medication management
- individual and group CBT treatment
- group psychotherapy, including ACT, mindfulness, DBT, and other therapeutic approaches
- occupational therapy
- comprehensive discharge planning
- family support/therapy
- art therapy
- therapeutic recreational activities
Our residential program is located in our new partnership site at Bellwood Health Services in Toronto, Ontario, an independent living environment. Participants will receive individual and group treatment on a daily basis, delivered by a multi-disciplinary team with specialized training in OCD. The residential program provides a safe and open environment where individuals can work with our highly trained to staff to accomplish treatment goals.
Day Treatment Program
Individuals admitted to our Day Treatment Program will receive individual and group treatment alongside residential clients but will return home at the end of each day. The Day Treatment Program is intended as a transition from residential treatment towards full discharge, in addition to being a program option for individuals whose OCD symptoms will not interfere with their participation in the day program, and who live within commuting distance to the program site.
This service is available to patients across the province with severe/treatment resistant OCD. Patients will meet with one of our team psychiatrists to complete a comprehensive evaluation, and determine appropriate treatment recommendations. This is a one-time appointment for approximately 1-1.5 hours. The referring physician remains responsible for the patient’s care. Recommendations will be sent to the referring physician who can then determine with the patient if they wish to try the treatment suggested. Prior to their appointment, the patient will first be sent a detailed self-report questionnaire about their psychiatric and medical history to complete.
The Psychiatric Consultation may also include a ‘follow-up’ appointment if needed.
An optional annual reassessment is available if requested by the treating physician.
MD to MD Consultation
Any physician can request an expedited phone consultation with one of our psychiatrists to discuss a patient’s condition and treatment options, without formally referring the patient to us for consultation. This is a one-time conversation and the referring physician remains responsible for the patient’s care. The referring physician will be contacted to set up a phone appointment with one of the psychiatrists on our team and will receive our recommendations directly during the call.
Group CBT for OCD and Related Disorders
In addition to our intensive services, the Thompson Centre provides general outpatient services for mild to moderate OCD, as well as the offering specialized CBT-focused group treatments for;
- Trichotillomania/Excoriation Disorder
- Hoarding Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- 18 to 65 years of age
- Principal diagnosis is OCD
- Symptoms of OCD judged as severe
- Severe impairment in functioning
- OCD symptoms are treatment resistant. e. the client has failed to respond to
- > 2 trials of SSRIs
- > 1 trial of clomipramine or SNRI
- 1+ augmentation agent (i.e. atypical antipsychotics, memantine, topiramate)
- trial of evidence-based cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) (does not apply in situations here CBT is inaccessible).
- Patient must demonstrate willingness and motivation to challenge OCD symptoms (assessed by the phone interview with our intake coordinator)
- Patient must have a physician or therapist in their community willing to provide ongoing medication management and therapy.
Complete referral packages include a physician form and client information package. They can be obtained from the Thompson Centre website:
Contact the Frederick W Thompson Anxiety Disorders Centre:
- F and K wings
- 2075 Bayview Avenue
- Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5
- Telephone: 416-480-6100
- 175 Brentcliffe Road,
- Toronto, Ontario, M4G 3Z1
- Telephone: 416-652-2010
Referral information for these outpatient services is outlined on our website:
*Capacity for these programs fluctuates but the
Centre endeavours to provide access to people
living across the City of Toronto.